Saying goodbye is never easy. Even when you agree that your marriage is over, divorce can be tough. There are a lot of emotions to deal with, plus the practical stuff like splitting your belongings and sorting out your finances. Add two lawyers into the mix and you may find yourselves even more stressed.
If you and your spouse are amicable and you are ready to handle your divorce in a mature and respectful manner, there is no reason to bring in a group of lawyers to muck up the process. You have lost control of so many things in your marriage; don’t give control of your divorce to someone else. If you both agree on how you want to end your marriage, then take charge of your divorce and handle it yourselves. Not only can a do-it-yourself divorce be faster and cheaper – going the DIY route can also be a lot easier to handle emotionally.
4 Benefits of a DIY Divorce
Many couples do not realize that it is even possible to do their own divorce in Texas, let alone the benefits of handling the process without a lawyer. Wondering why you would take on the challenge of this type of divorce? Here are a few reasons to consider it:
- It’s Much Cheaper: Why pay someone else thousands of dollars to do what you can do yourself for a few hundred? Divorce can be expensive. Don’t add to those expenses by paying a high priced lawyer to file some paperwork and show up on court day. With the right knowledge you can keep the price of your divorce under $300.
- It’s Faster: Attorneys are busy people. When you hire them to handle your divorce, you must wait until they can meet; file the proper paperwork; schedule a court hearing; etc. Depending on the firm’s schedule this can delay your divorce for months. When you do it yourself you can have your entire divorce wrapped up within 61 short days.
- It Puts You in Control: Your life may feel like it is careening out of control during a divorce. There are people telling you what to do; what to say; how to handle yourself; what you are getting; and what your future holds. While a lot of their advice may be sound, sometimes it is better to simply take control of the situation and handle things yourself. There is no reason to allow lawyers to add stress and animosity to an amicable parting.
- It Is Hassle Free: Doing your own divorce in Texas really isn’t all that hard. Yes, you have to learn how to fill out the paperwork and deal with the court, but if you and your spouse agree on the main points of your separation then these logistics can be easy to handle.
Learning the Basics of a DIY Divorce
Handling your own divorce isn’t difficult. For most people, it only takes a few hours of time. Of course, you have to know what to do. One of the fastest and easiest ways to learn how to do your own divorce is to watch the in-depth video series offered by DIY Texas Divorce. Developed by licensed Texas Family Law Attorney, Art Warren, this comprehensive course offers everything you need to know to do your own divorce. From filling out the proper paperwork and court filings to setting up child support, filing your final decree and standing in the courtroom on D(ivorce)-Day, this DIY divorce course takes you step by step through the entire process. In addition to the detailed instruction offered in videos, this course also offers clients:
- Copies of all Texas approved legal forms and papers needed for a divorce
- 30-day email support
- A licensed Texas Family Law Attorney at your disposal
If you have come to the conclusion that your marriage is over and you are ready to start divorce proceedings, consider whether a DIY divorce is right for you. To find out more, check out the DIY Divorce website at DIY Texas Divorce.